What are the first steps for a tech startup looking to establish an online presence and jumpstart its digital marketing?
Consider the following three best practices for jumpstarting a technology startup's digital marketing playbook:
(1) Set SMART goals to focus your efforts
SMART goals are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound.
For some companies, it's lead generation. For others, it's about nurturing existing leads or remarketing to existing customers.
(2) Identify the most important stakeholders
In much the same way that goals help prioritize limited resources, few companies have the resources to market to everyone.
Early-stage tech startups generally need to focus on running experiments that help them get closer to product/market fit, and, ultimately, go-to-market fit.
It's much more practical to figure out your most important buyer personas, what companies these stakeholders are part of (ideal client profile), and what their buyer's journey looks like.
(Also, see, The Minimum Viable B2B Digital Marketing Strategy for Bootstrapped Tech Startups.)
(3) Develop educational content, also sometimes referred to as thought leadership
The way people research and make purchase decisions has changed dramatically.
Many founders of and investors in tech startups haven't yet caught up to massive, generational changes in buyer behaviors. For example,
- Gartner found that 83% of a typical B2B purchase decision -- researching, comparing options, and evaluating pricing -- happens before a potential buyer engages with a vendor.
- McKinsey discovered that 70% to 80% of B2B decision-makers now prefer to make decisions digitally.
- And in its B2B Thought Leadership Impact Report, LinkedIn, in partnership with Edelman, concluded that “thought leadership remains critical to customer engagement, but breaking through the noise is harder than ever.”
It's super critical for companies to have a way to intercept potential clients early in their research process and use helpful content to educate and build trust.
Are you part of a technology startup? What are you doing to jumpstart your digital marketing? Let me know in the comments below.
enroll now in our free 7-day eCourse: Go-to-Market Strategy 101 for B2B SaaS Startups and Scaleups.
Topics:- Content Marketing Strategy