According to the Sun Sentinel, South Florida construction firms report having “plenty of work.”
And the U.S. Department of Labor agrees, publishing data showing that construction jobs were created in Florida statewide in the year before last.
And across the board, there’s a general shortage of skilled workers to fill available job openings -- a trend only expected to become more pronounced as baby boomers continue to retire in record numbers.
What does the South Florida construction job growth outlook look like?
While analyzing the 87 construction firms, to determine which construction companies in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties are the most digitally savvy, we also looked at a number of regional and national macro trends impacting the construction industry.
Here’s a roundup of current job-related trends:
- 70% of U.S. construction firms are having difficulty filling openings for skilled construction jobs. ( Associated General Contractors of America).
- Specialty construction jobs are expected to grow within Florida by nearly 19 % through 2024. (Florida Department of Economic Opportunity)
- More specifically, construction job growth in South Florida has been in the 12% to 16% range. (Florida Department of Economic Opportunity)
- Within the Fort Lauderdale / Pompano Beach / Deerfield Beach metro area, 2,700 new construction jobs were created (Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance)
- Within the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), 7,500 new construction jobs were created, representing a 6.0% year-over-year gain vs. a 2.0% year-over-year gain for the United States as a whole. In other words, construction jobs are growing in South Florida at three times the national average (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Employers in South Florida with construction job openings include:
- Advanced Roofing
- Baker Concrete Construction
- Balfour Beatty
- Beauchamp Construction
- Bieber Construction
- Big Dog Construction Services
- Central Broward Construction
- Delta Construction Partners
- DPR Construction
- Gil Hyatt Construction
- Oak Construction
- Quick Sand & Fill Corporation
- Ric-Man Construction Florida
- Suffolk Construction
- The Window Guys of Florida
- Yukon Construction
Indeed.com reports estimated salaries for South Florida construction jobs mainly in the $30,000 to $75,000 range, with the majority of advertised construction jobs estimated to have salaries in the $30,000 to $40,000 range.
Of the 2,826 open construction jobs in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area advertised on LinkedIn, here’s the breakdown by experience level:
- Executive level: 29 jobs
- Director level: 65 jobs
- Mid-Senior level: 462 jobs
- Associate level: 659 jobs
- Entry level: 1,360 jobs
- Internship: 84 jobs
Of the 994 open construction jobs in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area advertised on LinkedIn, here’s the breakdown by experience level:
- Executive level: 13 jobs
- Director level: 17 jobs
- Mid-Senior level: 141 jobs
- Associate level: 166 jobs
- Entry level: 559 jobs
- Internship: 42 jobs