As the term suggests, buying trends are ever-changing commodities.
To understand buying trends, you must first acknowledge the market has changed.
Advancements in technology have shifted the market indefinitely. Where buyers once relied on businesses to distribute information, they now have access to an endless supply of information—the internet—and can retrieve this information on their own time, on their terms, without committing to purchasing.
“Buyers are doing extensive amounts of research on search engines and social media before they are ready to talk to you,” says Joshua Feinberg, VP and Co-Founder of SP Home Run, “70% or more of the buyer’s journey is already done before you’re even aware an opportunity exists and over the next couple of years we anticipate it’s going to be closer to 80-90%.”
Undeniably, the shift in the market left the buyer in charge of their own buyer’s journey, not the manufacturer.
Observing and following trends within the colocation and data center market is important to remain on your prospect’s radar to resolve this conflict.
Check out the following resources to stay updated with the latest industry news and trends.
- AFCOM: The Association for Computer Operations Management (AFCOM) provides an exclusive community for data center and IT infrastructure professionals to meet other professionals, exchange resources, and organize in-person events. AFCOM offers members weekly and monthly newsletters, informative webinars hosted by industry experts, and access to industry trends and reports.
- Data Center Knowledge: Data Center Knowledge distributes daily publications addressing the latest news and trends regarding the data center industry. From power and cooling technology to managed services and cloud, Data Center Knowledge covers various topics entailing data centers.
Conferences That Cover Colocation and Data Center Trends
- Data Center World: Data Center World congregates data center professionals to discuss the challenges they face in the data center and IT infrastructure industry. At Data Center World, attendees can expect unbiased information aimed to help solve their everyday problems. Visitors can expect to hear about the latest data center technology and network with other respected specialists.
- HostingCon: HostingCon gathers professionals from across the country to discuss the latest technology, news, and innovations regarding the data center industry. HostingCon prohibits self-promotion, guaranteeing attendees an unbiased environment to network and exchange expertise.
- Data Center Dynamics: Data Center Dynamics doubles as both a conference and online resource. Data Center Dynamics hosts conferences worldwide for professionals to converse and learn more about the latest data center trends. Data Center Dynamics also publishes content utilized by professionals across several different industries.
Colocation and Data Center Social Media
Platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter allow data center professionals to network with other professionals without the hassle of traveling. Joining groups on social media for colocation data centers can be beneficial because they provide an exclusive platform where other like-minded individuals can communicate—an environment outsiders cannot breach.
The following LinkedIn groups are great networks to consider joining based on your data center needs:
- DatacenterDynamics - Global Discussion
- The Green Data Center Alliance
- Data Center Pulse: INDUSTRY
- Mission Critical Data Center Facilities Professionals
- 451 Research
- Hosting Industry
- Data Center Advisors
- DCRE | Colocation & Data Center Real Estate
- Data Center Engineering
- Data Center Knowledge
- The Uptime Institute
- CRE's Commercial Real Estate Data Center Networking Group (CapRate Events, LLC)
- Data Center Pulse
- Data Center Professionals
- 7x24 Exchange Local Chapters Groups (look up by state)
Accounts to follow from the Twitter world are as follows:
- Site Selection Magazine
- Area Development (AD)
- Gregg Wassmansdorf of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank
- Jason Shepard of Cresa MCS
- John H. Boyd of the Boyd Co., Inc.
- Rich Miller of Data Center Frontier
- Schneider Electric Data Center Solutions
- Trade & Industry Development Magazine
- Zen Kishimoto of AltaTerra Research
How does your business keep up to date with the latest data center news and buying trends? Let us know in the Comments section below.