While analyzing the operators of outsourced data centers in Miami, we looked at locations of colocation and wholesale data centers throughout Miami and the broader South Florida region.
As one of the most densely populated areas in the United States, the greater Miami / Fort Lauderdale / West Palm Beach area is home to over 6 million of the state of Florida’s 21 million residents.
So it should come as no surprise that it’s one of the few Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) in the United States with three major airports: Miami International Airport (MIA), Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport (FLL), and Palm Beach International Airport (PBI).
In addition to being the hub to Latin America for several major airlines, Miami International Airport would almost certainly be the airport of choice for IT professionals that need to fly in from out of town to visit a data center in Miami. Of course, the availability of direct flights at the right time and price on your preferred airline might dictate otherwise. Still, the region’s other two major airports are only about 30- and 60-minutes (FLL and PBI, respectively) north of downtown Miami with zero traffic.
The Proximity of Colocation and Wholesale Data Centers in Miami to Miami International Airport (MIA)
So which of Miami’s colocation and wholesale data centers are closest to Miami International Airport? As anyone who’s had to navigate traffic in a city like Miami can attest to, the driving directions provided by Google Maps might differ greatly depending on whether you’re battling midweek rush hour traffic or. heading to the airport at 4:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning.
To simulate average rush hour traffic conditions, we pulled estimates from Google Maps at 6:30 p.m. on a Wednesday evening, with no weather issues and no holidays or special events impacting traffic patterns.
Data Centers Less Than 5 Miles Away from Miami International Airport
CoreSite -- 2115 NW 22nd Street, Miami -- approximately 3.3 miles to MIA
Data Centers 5 to 10 Miles Away from Miami International Airport
- Equinix -- 50 NE 9th Street, Miami -- approximately 6.1 miles to MIA
- AT&T -- 444 Northwest 79th Avenue, Miami -- approximately 6.2 miles to MIA
NAP of the Americas
- ColoHouse -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Suite 400, Miami -- approximately 6.5 miles to MIA
- Datacate (at ColoHouse) -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Suite 400, Miami -- approximately 6.5 miles to MIA
- Digital Realty -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Miami -- approximately 6.5 miles to MIA
- Equinix -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Miami -- approximately 6.5 miles to MIA
- QuadraNet -- 36 NE 2nd St, Miami -- approximately 6.5 miles to MIA
- Zayo Group (zColo) -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Miami -- approximately 6.5 miles to MIA
- Miami Data Vault (Florida East Coast Realty) -- 100 NE 80th Terrace, Miami -- approximately 8.2 miles to MIA
- Cogent Communications -- 200 SE 1st Street, Miami -- approximately 8.5 miles to MIA
- QTS Data Centers -- 11234 NW 20th Street, Miami -- approximately 9.9 miles to MIA
Data Centers 10 to 15 Miles Away from Miami International Airport
- EdgeConneX -- 2132 NW 114th Avenue, Miami -- approximately 10 miles to MIA
- Telefonica -- 11300 NW 25th Street, Miami -- approximately 10.2 miles to MIA
- Verizon Business Markets (formerly XO Communications) -- 16563 NW 15th Avenue, 1st Floor, Miami -- approximately 13.7 miles to MIA
So if you need to visit a colocation or wholesale data center in Miami on a regular basis, and you’d be flying into Miami International Airport (MIA), this post gives you a ballpark idea of the distance to/from the airport. Again, bear in mind that these distances are based on driving directions from Google Maps’ best guesstimate for the quickest travel time during average midweek rush hour conditions.
If you're in the data center, mission-critical, or cloud services industries, or you sell to the data center industry, don't miss our weekly update newsletter -- Data Center Sales & Marketing Institute (DCSMI) Update Newsletter. Get notified about new reports, events, podcasts, and blog posts.