Data center designers use a variety of approaches and strategies in their work, but some go above and beyond when it comes to innovation, superior build and layout, and commitment to client satisfaction.
By combining the ideal mix of strategic infrastructure, efficient power resources, and dependable cooling equipment, designers make it possible for future data center customers to entrust sensitive and mission-critical information to the facility with confidence.
- AHA Consulting Engineers: Located in Massachusetts, Georgia, and Virginia, AHA’s client base includes the Department of Homeland Security, IBM, Oracle, and Harvard University.
- Alcatex, Inc. Data Center Design & Build: Alcatex, Inc. specializes in turnkey computer room construction projects. Clients include JCPenney, T-Mobile, and Jones Lang LaSalle.
- Altruent Systems: This Cary, North Carolina-based systems integration firm helps companies build, expand, or move their critical infrastructure. Services include data center optimization and planning.
- Baskervill: Baskervill offers architectural, interior design, and MEP engineering services to data centers across a variety of industries.
- BRUNS-PAK Data Center Solutions: Located in Edison, New Jersey, BRUNS-PAK has over 5,500 completed data center projects to its credit and a reputation for innovative and cost-effective approaches.
- Cosentini Associates: This build systems engineering firm designs data centers across the globe. Past projects include 11 Times Square, the Macquarie Group Building, and the Time Warner Center.
- EDG2: Engineering Design Group/EDG2, Inc. has been recognized as one of the fastest growing engineering and commissioning teams in the industry, with over $400 billion in construction projects to its credit.
- Facility IT Group: Facility IT Group (FIG) is dedicated to accommodating high-traffic data center infrastructure needs. Previous clients include Alcatel-Lucent, the National Safety Council, and Unilever.
- H.F. Lenz Company: Headquartered in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, H.F. Lenz Company is responsible for award-winning projects like the Social Security Administration Building and the NASA Langley Research Center, New Town Phase I - Building 2102.
- Highland Associates: Located in New York and Pennsylvania, Highland Associates’ accomplishments include the 140,000 sq. ft Northeast Data Center in Carlstadt, New Jersey.
- Integrated Design Group, Inc.: This full-service architect and engineering design firm have conceived and constructed data centers for Fidelity Investments, Citizens Bank, and the Mathworks.
- Jaros Baum & Bolles: Jaros Baum & Bolles has designed projects in more than 50 countries and served as consulting engineers on some of the world’s most iconic buildings.
- Leading Edge Design Group: Lead Edge Design Group specializes in designing, building, and maintaining critical infrastructure systems. Clients include Dartmouth College Data Center and Tele Atlas.
- Little Diversified Architectural Consulting: Little Diversified Architectural Consulting is an international architecture and design firm that has supported high-profile corporations like Concentra and Food Lion.
- Pieper O'Brien Herr Architects: Pieper O'Brien Herr Architects is nationwide firm with offices in Atlanta and Pittsburgh. It was ranked 175 among the Top 300 architectural firms in the United States by Architectural Record magazine.
- Sheehan Partners, Ltd. Architecture + Interiors: Sheehan Partners specializes in data centers, trading floors, and other key facilities. Clients include NY5 and Columbia Colocation Data Center.
- SMMA | Symmes Maini & McKee Associates: Located in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, SMMA’s data center clients include the EMC Center of Excellence and the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
- Total Site Solutions: TSS is a leading infrastructure designer that has been recognized as 2015 Dell Global Enterprise Technology Services Partner Of The Year.
- WENDEL Companies: WENDEL is an architectural and engineering consulting firm with a data center clientele that includes Yahoo and M&T Bank.
There is much more to data center design than simply building a warehouse and connecting an assortment of servers. Careful planning is required when it comes to the building and hardware infrastructure. The data center design firms on this list have all been lauded for exceeding client expectations in this regard.
Was your data center designed by any of the firms listed here? If so, were you pleased with the results? Let us know your thoughts in the Comments box below.
If you're in the data center, mission critical or cloud services industries, or you sell to the data center industry, don't miss our weekly update newsletter -- Data Center Sales & Marketing Institute (DCSMI) Update Newsletter. Get notified about new reports, events, podcasts, and blog posts.