Within the data center industry, the Greater Miami area and the broader South Florida region, is considered a secondary market -- based on the amount of square footage and investments being made in the region. The main or primary data center marketplaces in the United States include Northern Virginia, Greater New York City, Chicago, Dallas, Northern California, and Southern California.
The Value of Data Centers in Miami for Out of Town Ownership Groups
That said, even though outsourced Miami data center providers have to contend with questions about hurricane risks and physical security ramifications, colocation and wholesale data center operators in and around Miami offer something unique: unrivaled telecommunications access to Latin America, especially through the legendary NAP of the Americas facility -- in much the same way as Miami International Airport (MIA) is often referred to as the Gateway to Latin America or the Gateway to South America.
We looked at these issues at length while researching the key players for the Greater Miami Data Center Market Opportunity Report.
But the fact remains: only a small percentage (2 out of 15, or 13%) of the companies operating outsourced data centers in Miami are actually headquartered in Miami.
Operators of Outsourced Miami Data Centers Headquartered Outside of Miami
- AT&T -- 444 Northwest 79th Avenue, Miami -- Headquarters located in Dallas, Texas (Dallas County)
- Cogent Communications -- 200 SE 1st Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in Washington, D.C.
- CoreSite -- 2115 NW 22nd Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in Denver, Colorado (Denver County)
- Datacate (at ColoHouse) -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Suite 400, Miami -- Headquarters located in Cordova, California (Sacramento County)
- Digital Realty -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in San Francisco, California (San Francisco County)
- EdgeConneX -- 2132 NW 114th Avenue, Miami -- Headquarters located in Herndon, Virginia (Fairfax County)
- Equinix -- 50 NE 9th Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in Redwood City, California (San Mateo County)
- INAP -- Miami -- Headquarters located in Atlanta, Georgia (Fulton County)
- QTS Data Centers -- 11234 NW 20th Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in Overland Park, Kansas (Johnson County)
- QuadraNet -- 36 NE 2nd St, Miami -- Headquarters located in Los Angeles, California (Los Angeles County)
- Telefonica -- 11300 NW 25th Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in Madrid, Spain
- Verizon Business Markets (formerly XO Communications) -- 16563 NW 15th Avenue, 1st Floor, Miami -- Headquarters located in Herndon, Virginia (Fairfax County)
- Zayo Group (zColo) -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Miami -- Headquarters located in Boulder, Colorado (Boulder County)
Miami Data Center Operators Headquartered in Miami
- ColoHouse -- 36 NE 2nd Street, Suite 400, Miami
- Miami Data Vault (Florida East Coast Realty) -- 100 NE 80th Terrace, Miami
Download a Free Excerpt from the Greater Miami Data Center Market Opportunity Report
Which colocation and wholesale data center operators in the Greater Miami area -- and throughout South Florida -- are the most digitally-savvy?
The Greater Miami Data Center Market Opportunity Report analyzes 21 colocation and wholesale data center operators in the South Florida marketplace and compares the companies across 44 metrics -- including differentiation in the modern buyer’s journey, thought leadership strategy, website authority, competitive positioning, company social media presence, lead generation, paid search acceleration, as well as full-funnel revenue growth and digital infrastructure.
If you're in the data center, mission critical or cloud services industries, or you sell to the data center industry, don't miss our weekly update newsletter -- Data Center Sales & Marketing Institute (DCSMI) Update Newsletter. Get notified about new reports, events, podcasts, and blog posts.